Vancouver Mustangs  

Go Back   Vancouver Mustangs > Care & Maintentance > Appearance + Show

Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
04 Cobra

Default Who to use locally for chrome plating?

Looking for recommendations on a local plating company to re-chrome some bumpers (three stage dip; copper, nickel, chrome) that provides quality work for a fair price. Let me know…

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Cobra...482rwhp on pump...506rwhp on pump + race fuel
1970 Cougar 351 CJ with Ram Air...undergoing complete concours restoration
04 Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
mcfairmont

Sorry, but "fair price" on having bumpers rechromed in BC simply doesn`t exist anymore. There is only, I believe 2 shops doing chrome bumpers in the lower mainland these days, and they charge a lot! A guy I know had the 2 bumpers and grill surround moldings replated on his 55 Chevy , and the cost was $2200.00!!! There are a few bumper shops that are from California, that attend most of the Monroe, Bremerton, and Puyallup WA swap meets. They have trucks full of rechromed bumpers with them, and if they do not have your specific application on hand, they can either take your bumper back with them, and bring it back at a later swap meet, or they may have a finished bumper at the shop, and bring it with them on their next trip. Since all these bumper guys are Mexican, I would not be suprised if they are plated in Mexico, I imagine the enviromental expenses are much lower than California or BC. I know that members on this site TomP and Fordmania have used these bumpers, so maybe they can share their experiances concerning quality and cost.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
2rods

There was a place in Victoria that was really good. Victoria chrome or something like that. Don't know if around anymore.
2rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
cartel

theres a place in oregon that does good work and reasonable-- like half of what cloverdale place was

i took vent windows to the shop in cloverdale and they wanted 700 pr just for vents-- and NO guarantee no pits when done..

new were only 500pr.. i wanted orig rechromes but not for more money and NO guarantee wont look perfect-- in the end i went new as the place in OR was 4-5 weeks out and i didnt wanna wait

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

64.5 Vert - Stacked EFI
68 Vert - wifes summer toy
89 coupe (needs more HP!)..

and a few others
cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
falconguy63

There is no good chrome places around anymore. All the chrome on my falcon is going to shit, and needs to be re done again. Not sure where im gonna take the parts next. All my dash and interior trim chrome was over $1800. Bumpers were $500 a peice, were fairly straight to begin with. Were probably going down south for all the chrome on the Comet.

'63 Falcon Futura: 289/c4/9", bolts ons, 13.49 @101.10

Quote:
you obviously bore it .010" then finish hone it, then put an elastic on the diegrinder trigger and dangle that bitch into the bore and watch bounce around in there...thats how you get the .5

falconguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
twistin

x2 it ain't cheap , I spent 4 grand two years ago for my Datsun bumpers,caps trim etc.

My other car is an unfinished project.
twistin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Radio Flyer

I had several roll bars and legs chromed at Dependable Plating in Burnaby. I don't know if he is cheap or not because I wanted "GOOD", not cheap.

I asked him to mask the seam in the tubing so the line no longer shows. I believe this is done by plating copper on the steel and then finishing it to remove the imprint of the seam. He did that and did a good job.

His shop is 3980 Charles Street, Bby and phone number is 604-291-2611
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Humphrey

My work uses Hudson Plating, Ebco metal finishing and Dynacor coatings for chrome and whatnot...just throwing it out there
1988 GT
Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
04 Cobra

Thanks guys. I'm looking at getting two straight good shaped bumpers re-chromed and was hoping someone locally could do them for ~$400/piece. I know the process doesn't yield perfect results every time but I want something half decent that will last for many years.

Sounds like I'll have to make a trip down south around the Seattle area. I know an outfit which stocks multiple sets of re-chromed bumpers for my Cougar and they allow you to walk into their facility and you can pick from their stock which ones you want. They also do it on a core exchange basis as well; basically I would trade my used ones for freshly re-chromed ones and pick which set I want. This is probably the best route to go as I get to see firsthand what I'm getting. They charge $320 for the rear bumper and $420 for the front bumper and have a good reputation for good chrome. I believe they use a shop in Oregon to do the chroming in mass batches at a time.

04 Cobra...482rwhp on pump...506rwhp on pump + race fuel
1970 Cougar 351 CJ with Ram Air...undergoing complete concours restoration
04 Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote