Vancouver Mustangs  

Go Back   Vancouver Mustangs > Tech Forums > Car Audio & Wiring

View Poll Results: What style stereo setup do you prefer?
Type 1 - Full fiberglass 1 1.96%
Type 2- Clean Install 20 39.22%
Type 3- Sound quality 21 41.18%
Type 4- Ground pounder 9 17.65%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Wagonized

Default What style stereo setup do you prefer?

Ive been doing my own builds/installs for customers on the side for a few years now. Now Im hoping to make my business a little larger and be my main source of income out of my house. Im just doing some R&D as to what style of install people typically like so I can farther hone my skills accordingly.

Im asking for ur guys/girls feedback as to what style of setup you'd realistically prefer for your own vehicle. Taking ur music needs/preferences into account along with your aesthetic preferences and budget aswell.

None of these pics are of my work. Theyre simply pics Ive come across amongst my travels.

Type 1- Fiberglass custom builds. Usually pretty flashy often containing a lot of in-car entertainment aswell to aid to the visual aspect of these installs. Custom amp racks, screens, aimed woofers all molded in together. But not necessarily the best sounding or overly loud. Cost tends to be rather high primarily for labour hours.

Type 2 - Clean daily driver install Looking for something to blend in with the stock interior. Not looking for too much flash but more-so a stealth install which will enhance ur musical experience. In-car entertainment gear is lightly used, if at all. Sound is a certain improvement over stock, and defintely a clean sounding experience but nothing to blow ur hair back. Budget is affordable unless expensive gear is used.

Type 3 - Sound Quality Installs The goal here is to design ur install to create the purist, most realistic sound possible. Aesthetics arent nearly as much of a concern as performance but setups look far from ugly or thrown together. In-car entertainment is often moderately used. Primary concern in these installs is the mids and highs rather than focusing on the bass in many other installs. Setups are great for all varieties of music or movies while driving. High quality components are used and advanced install techniques which will raise cost significantly. However, they typically dont posess the ability to rumble the whole block and leave ur teeth tingling as you leave the car.

Type 4 - Ground Pounder Installs Lots of power, batteries and often lots of cone area. These vehicles are designed usually to play bass heavy music super super loud. Knock your socks off! The installs usually dont have much for in-car entertainment and aesthetically are a bit lacking compared to any flashy fiberglass installs or a stealth look. Usually the whole cargo area is devoted to the enclosure and gear. Budget is usually moderate to the electrical system upgrades and large amps required.

Curious of ur guys preferences and feedback of what you look for while getting work done?
Portfolio of past work and accomplishments, being able to listen first hand to their builds, good reputation, warranty etc

Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
5LitreFever

for me I prefer #4.

It doesnt have to be too flashy,
just a nice clean install with hard hitting bass being the number one priority.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

85 Mustang GT

Best 60 ft 1.58
Best ET 12.16
Best MPH 111.27
5LitreFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Mike Larry

Crystal clear sound quality with hard hitting deep bass.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
ROCKBALLER

post some pics of your work
ROCKBALLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Wagonized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKBALLER View Post
post some pics of your work
my installs are all similar to #4. Thats the style I build mostly. Ive built the majority of loudest vehicles in BC. Most competitions will have a few of my designs there
Old 06-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #6
Musturd

with me its a combination of 3 and 4 i love awesome sounding mids and really hard hitting bass
Old 06-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
MikeLX

used to be 4, now im more of a 3 with a touch of 2
Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Nitrous
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Nitrous

i have one of wagons type 4 style boxs in my vehicle right now if anyone ever wants to hear it
Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
black92coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLX View Post
used to be 4, now im more of a 3 with a touch of 2
what he said ^
black92coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post

x2

with a nice clean install.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #11
Wagonized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
pretty much everyone wants that until it comes time to pay for it. Sound quality is an expensive game. Good gear isnt cheap but a bulletproof install to take full advantage of that gear is quite labour intensive and definitely runs the bill up. To put it into perspective the 2 pics I posted of the "type 3" setup are both the same car...its a 2002 dodge neon. Between the gear and install the bill would be over $30 000
Old 07-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
perfections reflection

lol, the pic from type 2 is my fairlady, it sounds awesome, its all foose. i got it cause it looks clean and classy, and has a hell of a bass.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
mongoose

I'd hope it's to do with the type of shit they use.. and how the build it.. like good 13 ply vs 3/4 mdf etc... still it shouldn't be double the price.

-Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:21 AM   #14
Wagonized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Grip View Post
i dont get installs and why they vary in price so much, im having a full focal set up in my car, dual monitor sub amp 4.75 component amp, 3 27k subs and two sets of 165kps components, and alpine F1 deck for less than 12 installed.thats about 80-100 real hours for the install.other shops wanted 25+. that trunk with the alpine amps looks really nice, i like those installs.
I think a lot of it is really the installer team and their familiarity with that style of setup. If they're used to high end gear in high end cars then they'll be more efficient with that style of install and have it done much quicker. For instance if you went to ur average shop in vancouver, burnaby, richmond etc and said you have an 05 chrysler 300 and want it to do 150 decibels with 2 12s. They would be so out of their element they wouldnt know where to start....the task to them would seem impossible and they would charge you accordingly.

But also depends greatly on how they installed it. There are dozens of seldomly used techniques used by "professionals" when doing serious installs to get just a bit better results. Same goes for seldomly used techniques used in ground pounder installs to get them just a bit louder. When using higher end gear like ur focal setup is when going the extra mile for the install really shines because that gear has the potential to shine well beyond what ur average set of rcas, ur average door mounted speakers, ur average sealed sub boxes can bring you. Its all application specific and should require a lot of planning if done right.

But the bigger the job the more corners shops can cut and the bigger price difference there will be between shops.

I know if I were to do a high dollar install like that, even if the customer was to provide all the gear. Id be keeping a build log for the customer to see with pic and info of the processes and install techniques used because once the setup is all buttoned up the hours and hours of "behind the scenes" work can be easily overlooked and forgotten and they'll end up wondering where all their money went for the install.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #15
Wagonized

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
I'd hope it's to do with the type of shit they use.. and how the build it.. like good 13 ply vs 3/4 mdf etc... still it shouldn't be double the price.
baltic birch ply is the shit! I dont like how they only come in smaller sheets though.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
torinogtman

Wagonized - I like your thinking.

I just installed a deck in my gf's prelude because she complained her old one sounded like shit. She was getting used to mine I guess. LOL

She had hers "professionally" installed somewhere in Seattle. When I pulled her old one out I was happy to see that they used a Metra adapter so that was going to make my job a little easier. What I was not happy to see though is that they twisted and taped the wires. I showed her how easy it was to pull the wires apart and how much the copper had oxidized in a few years by cutting and stripping a couple of wires. At first she didn't understand why I insisted to solder and heat shrink the connections, but when I showed her how strong the connections were and how clean the install looked, she changed her mind.

It's the little things like that which the average customer does not understand. This is what adds to the cost of a proper build and that is something I can appreciate. I am good with wiring, but when it comes to fabrication, I don't have the skills or experience to do reproduce what a good installer can do.
torinogtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #17
Teh Doucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
x2

with a nice clean install.
same here
Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
racerboy88

it is your typical scenario, you have to pay to play.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #19
torinogtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Grip View Post
typical scenario is you overpay.
Yup - I agree. That is why I like to do as much as I can myself on anything also on non-car related jobs. If you want anything done right then you have to do it yourself.
torinogtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
Mustang Lola

people don't spend the money like they used to on car audio, fibreglass seems to be too expensive for people who quite often settle on looks because of $$$