Vancouver Mustangs  

Go Back   Vancouver Mustangs > Care & Maintentance > Regular Maintenance

Old 03-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #26
Bluethunder

Default Re: Oil filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVicPI
Hey Blue thunder- was youre `Stang parked out of G&H Shop and Save at around 12:00 on wednesday, march 14?? if so i saw it..... very sick
Where's that? I was picking up lunch that day around that time from Dragon Fort on Pauline street in Abbotsford. If it was mine, thanks for the compliment CrownVicPI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicus
Fram synthetic here, just curious tho.. is it ok to just change your filter more often or should oil be changed at that time too. I change both at 3000Kms always but I thought someone wrote that you can just change the filter if you run synthetic. and then oil at 5000kms
If you use synthetic oil, you can just change your filter at your prefered interval you normally change your oil, and then top it up as required. You can leave the synthetic in for 20,000Km before you need to replace it entirely. According to Mobil 1, when you replace the filter and top up the 1/2L you lose when replacing it, it regenerates the old oil in the crankcase. My dad does this and only does a COMPLETE LOF every 20-25,000km.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #27
Beeker

Hey mach1canuck, Snake has forgotten more than you will ever know, and you need to learn to be more respectful to your elders you smart-ass little shit !!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #28
Mach1Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker
Hey mach1canuck, Snake has forgotten more than you will ever know, and you need to learn to be more respectful to your elders you smart-ass little shit !!!!!!!!
#1 I doubt it. (unless you're talking about gay sex, and tranny treats, I don't know a whole lot about that)
#2 I treat people the way they treat others. If you'll notice, I made a post containing a page with links that actually worked. I wasn't hostile until your bud posted a jackass comment.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #29
K towner

I sadly work for GM so I use ACDelco since it free
Old 03-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #30
CrownVicPI

If its a good oil filter and its free.......
Old 08-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #31
racerboy88

no problems with fram
Old 08-15-2007, 09:46 PM   #32
tom16

I've used both Wix on my vehicles and Fram everyuday at work, Both have been great.
As far as that whole thing of using the same Synthetic oil for like 20,000-25,000km, i think is a bad idea, Ive heard of people using Full synthetic for like 8-10,000 but ti think thats pushing it. but if u got that From Mobil 1 then i guess that your choice, but ive never heard of people keeping it that long
Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #33
Mach1Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom16
I've used both Wix on my vehicles and Fram everyuday at work, Both have been great.
As far as that whole thing of using the same Synthetic oil for like 20,000-25,000km, i think is a bad idea, Ive heard of people using Full synthetic for like 8-10,000 but ti think thats pushing it. but if u got that From Mobil 1 then i guess that your choice, but ive never heard of people keeping it that long
The majority of the extended oil drain interval adopters have verified the oils condition throughout its life, usually with oil analysis. It's not like they run it blindly.
At least for the first year or so this is a good idea.

And pretty much everyone running AMSOIL uses extended drain intervals.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #34
terik4187

Royal Purple Synthetic oil and change the filter every 3000km and oil every 6 or so. and its a motorcraft filter. cheers

Last edited by terik4187; 08-20-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #35
little loopie

Whatever the factory puts in. They are paying for warranty, I'm sure their filters are good. Therefore, Motorcraft.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #36
pizda

You guys should like this.....

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7568
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #37
crazy

FRAM
Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #38
Mach1Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by little loopie
Whatever the factory puts in. They are paying for warranty, I'm sure their filters are good. Therefore, Motorcraft.
Their filters are good *enough* for 3 years...
Old 08-26-2007, 01:06 AM   #39
Sacman

Whichever vehicle I do an oil change on I just go to the dealership and buy one there.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #40
Teh Doucher

on the average daily driven car just throw one on from canadian tire such as fram...dont bother spending money on a fancy one...those are ment for racing applications...
Old 09-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #41
pizda

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss gt
on the average daily driven car just throw one on from canadian tire such as fram...dont bother spending money on a fancy one...those are ment for racing applications...
good to know... thanks!
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #42
demonicus

Send a message via MSN to demonicus

Apparently fram restricts oil on the sensor side of the motor. This contributing to a higher then normal pressure reading sometimes. I've switched back to motorcraft now. But I'm always running mobil1 from superstore. I stock up around christmas time cause it only costs 28 bux for 5.4L

centerline rims
demonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:29 AM   #43
WhiteStang

I posted in this thread exactly a year ago and its still alive! I still use Fram, but I tend to use the double-guard synthetic filter. I think I am going to start using the factory motorcraft filter on the next oil change. I havnt changed the oil yet since I bought the car; still debating what oil I want to put in.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #44
CrownVicPI

K&N !!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #45
powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVicPI
K&N !!
O0
Old 08-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #46
87 vert

Default Cummins T.S.B.

A few years back cummins said it would not honor warrenty work if you used a fram. Not enough filtering material. Wix are good though.
T
Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #47
mcfairmont

I buy most of my general auto parts from Deckers in Surrey, they have a cutaway display of a regular orange Fram oil filter, and a Wix. The Wix looks much higher quality inside, the Fram has a cardboard end gasket that looks like some kid cut out in "Arts and Crafts"! They previously sold Purolator. I normally use either the Wix 51515 now, or Motorcraft, but be aware that Ford sells 2 different versions of the normal large filter, the cheaper FL1A, and the CFL1, which they call a 2 stage filter, that costs a couple of bucks more.Motorcraft also sells a "Racing" oil filter, with a higher burst pressure, but frankly, in over 30 years of drag racing, I have never blown out a "regular" oil filter. I have ran many other brands over the years, including Purolator and Fram, and since I`m pretty strict with my maintenance, never had any problems with any oil filter.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #48
SmoothEggsRacing

lets argue over oil filters, lol.
SmoothEggsRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #49
JOEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVicPI View Post
Ive used K&N for the last 750 kms and my oil is still as clean as the day i put it in....
i just did an oil change today and used a fram filter .apparently that was a bad choice.im goin with k&n from now on.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #50
tallied in a fox

All automotive filters are shitty. They have media migration, pleat bunching, and their beta efficiency (particles introduced vs particles passed) is poor. So when the fan pleat filters get dirty they unload crap during shock.
Also brand new oil is 90% of the time too dirty for the oil pump, based on todays ratings.

The only thing you can do is use glass/synthetic media (more resistant to stress) and change it often.

The mines are starting to use ultipleat Beta1000 media on their diff/tranny/engine and hydraulic oil.
tallied in a fox is offline   Reply With Quote